Sunday, December 18, 2011

Education in Prison

Hi Michael,
First I want to congratulate you on your book "How to love and inspire your man after prison". The title to this book fulfills and exceeds what I was looking for when I went online searching for help. Short version to my long story. My fiancé was locked up earlier this year and is not due to get out till 2016. He is at a federal prison in LA- Polluck ups.
I Am out here educating myself about life with a loved one that is incarcerated and at the same time trying to help him in each and every way I can. He would love to do some college courses so that he can increase his employment opportunities once he gets out. The few distance colleges that would offer him anything are too expensive for me. Is there any other direction that you can point me into? To my shock the government no longer offers college grants to inmates.
Happy holidays and may as many Blessings continue to pour your way, for you and your family.
Thanks Rita

Hi Rita, i'm happy you found my book helpful. I want to refer you to this website at Prisontalk.com. -http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54695 -.
PTO is a really helpful and supportive online community of people with loved ones in prison. The info on this page is a little dated, but many of the links may still be relevant. You can also talk to and get advice fro others in the chat rooms about what services are out there.
You may also want to send him other mind stimulating materials such as books. My book "How to Do Good After Prison: A Handbook for Successful Reentry", is a good start. It has tip and suggestions for him to be proactive in his own personal growth while in prison. Send a variety and wide range of reading materiel, as reading is the important thing. I speak about that in "How to Inspire Your Man After Prison".
Let me know how you make out.Happy Holidays to you and yours also. Good luck. Do Good! mbj

2 comments:

Tired said...

Dear Michael,

My husband is in prison and has been for a year and 1/2. He has 2 yr 10 m to go. I have been working hard running our business but it has since closed due to the economy. I have had to leave our home and start renting a house. I have a job now but feel so run down and exhausted mentally emotionally the whole 9. I am thankful for it all and feel like I sounds so ungrateful.We have a 5 year old. We put our trust in Jesus and are sticking together through this. I have ministry ideas but feel so trapped by pure survival right now. Any ideas how I can lower my work load and still keep a roof over my head. I wish I could work 25 hours a week and still survive so I could be there for my daughter and the other things I feel God is calling me to do. My church has been helpful but I can't just stop working when I am lucky to have a job. I just don't feel like I can keep this up another almost 3 years. Looking to feel hope again.- From Tired

Lewis N. Clark said...

The info on this page is a little dated, but many of the links may still be relevant. You can also talk to and get advice fro others in the chat rooms about what services are out there. technology in the classroom